Webster TV Show
The Webster TV show was a comedy series about a retired professional football player turned TV sportscaster and his wife. When the orphaned son of a former team member turned up at their door, they accepted him warmly into their family.
Emmanuel Lewis ........ Webster Long
Alex Karras ........... George Papadapolis
Susan Clark ........... Katherine Calder-Young Papadapolis
Henry Polic II ........ Jerry Silver
The original title of the show was to be "Another Ballgame" (which instead became the title of the first episode). Then the name was changed to "Then Came You". When the name was finally changed to "Webster", Alex Karras and Susan Clark were understandably upset. They signed on to do a show about a nice white couple who accept and love the afro-american son of a former friend. The producers and audiences fell in love with the "cute as pie" Emmanuel Lewis, however, and the TV show soon centered around "Webster".
Emmanuel Lewis may have been a little too cute for his own good! His mother regularly complained about him constantly being picked up and carried around by members of the crew. They treated him as if he were 6-years-old (as he appeared) rather than his actual age of 12-years-old. He was so cute that people couldn't help themselves even after the complaints. Finally, the head of Paramount television had to order the crew to stop.
George Papadapolis worked at TV station WBJX-TV. Katherine Calder-Young Papadapolis started out as a consumer advocate and, later in the series, went to work as a psychologist. They had met each other on a cruise to Greece.
Webster Long's parents were killed in a car accident. The Papadapolis couple took him in because George was Webster's godfather.
Emmanuel Lewis was discovered by a network executive while appearing in a Burger King commercial. He was immediately signed to a contract and then the TV show was designed around him.
Webster called Mr. Papadapolis, "George". He called Katherine, "Ma'am" because it sounded a lot like "Mom".
Jerry Seinfeld was on the writing staff for the show but was fired after only a few episodes. In a newspaper interview, Jerry said that was one of the most humiliating experiences of his life. He recovered pretty well though, huh?
Theme Song Lyrics
Title: "Then Came You"
By: "Steve Nelson and Madeline Sunshine"
Set in my ways
losing track of the days
Only me to live for.
Had no need to give more
Than I wanted to.
Spending my time
just holding the line
Never getting caught up.
Love was never brought up
It's not the thing to do.
It was you,
Then came you.
You made me leap without taking a look.
It was you,
Then came you.
You reeled me right in line, sinker, and hook.
Never thought forever was the best I could do.
Then came you.
It was you
Then came you.
It was you.
Me and you.
Then came you.
Episodes List With Original Air Dates
The First Season
- Another Ballgame (9/16/1983)
- Happy Un-Birthday (9/23/1983)
- Consulting Adults (9/30/1983)
- Katherine's Swan Song (10/7/1983)
- Saying Goodbye (10/21/1983)
- Green-Eyed Monster (10/28/1983)
- Second Time Around (11/4/1983)
- Travis (11/11/1983)
- That's Entertainment (11/18/1983)
- Educating Katherine (11/25/1983)
- Teddy Bear Scare (12/2/1983)
- A Question of Honor (12/16/1983)
- Don't Jump, George (12/23/1983)
- George, the Patient in Spite of Himself (1/6/1984)
- Maybe Baby (1/13/1984)
- Missing (1/20/1984)
- Secrets of the Night (1/27/1984)
- Special Friends (2/3/1984)
- Uncle Phillip (2/24/1984)
- More Than a Memory (3/2/1984)
- Dreamland (3/9/1984)
- Webster Long - Part 1 (5/4/1984)
The Second Season
- Webster Long - Part 2 (9/21/1984)
- Webster Long - Part 3 (9/28/1984)
- The Great Walnutto (10/12/1984)
- Knock, Knock (10/19/1984)
- Burn Out (10/26/1984)
- Moving On (11/2/1984)
- You Can't Go Home Again (11/9/1984)
- Thanksgiving Show (11/16/1984)
- God Bless the Child (11/23/1984)
- Too Much Class (11/30/1984)
- To Tell the Truth (12/7/1984)
- Katherine Fights City Hall (12/14/1984)
- It's a Dog's Life (1/4/1985)
- Runaway (1/11/1985)
- Keep on Truckin', Papa (1/18/1985)
- The Uh-Oh Feeling (1/25/1985)
- Strike Up the Band (2/1/1985)
- In the Family Way - Part 1 (2/8/1985)
- In the Family Way - Part 2 (2/15/1985)
- What is Art? (2/22/1985)
- Best of Friends (3/15/1985)
- It's Academic (3/22/1985)
- Be It Ever So Humble (3/29/1985)
- The Best Thing I Can Be (4/5/1985)
The Third Season
- How the West Was Once - Part 1 (9/20/1985)
- How the West Was Once - Part 2 (9/20/1985)
- And Baby Makes Breakfast (9/27/1985)
- Big Problems (10/4/1985)
- Alien (10/11/1985)
- Parent Trap (10/18/1985)
- Good Grief (10/25/1985)
- One More Shot (11/1/1985)
- Great Expectations - Part 1 (11/8/1985)
- Great Expectations - Part 2 (11/15/1985)
- Who's to Blame? (11/22/1985)
- Chained (11/29/1985)
- The Triangle (12/6/1985)
- The Truth Hurts (12/13/1985)
- Hello, I Must Be Going (1/10/1986)
- That's Rich (1/17/1986)
- TV or Not TV (1/24/1986)
- Borrowed Time (1/31/1986)
- A Friend in Need (2/7/1986)
- Love Papadopolis Style (2/14/1986)
- Almost Home (2/21/1986)
- Farewell to Arms (3/7/1986)
- There Goes the Bride (3/21/1986)
- Gotcha (3/28/1986)
- My Family's Honor (5/2/1986)
The Fourth Season
- McGruff (8/20/1986)
- The Landlords (9/26/1986)
- The Derby (10/3/1986)
- A Run for the Money (10/17/1986)
- Read It and Weep (10/24/1986)
- Witchbusters (10/31/1986)
- The Tribute (11/7/1986)
- Kiss Me, Kate (11/14/1986)
- Play Ball (11/21/1986)
- The Big Sleepover (12/5/1986)
- The Man in the Red Flannel Suit (12/12/1986)
- Secrets (1/9/1987)
- Leave It to Diva (1/16/1987)
- A Test of Characters (1/23/1987)
- Freedom of the Press (1/30/1987)
- Honor Thy Grandfather (2/6/1987)
- Seeing It Through (2/13/1987)
- Our Song (2/20/1987)
- The K.O. Kid (2/27/1987)
- Games People Play (3/6/1987)
- Katherine the Brave (3/20/1987)
- A++ Parents (3/27/1987)
- What Price Friendship? (5/8/1987)
The Fifth Season
- San Francisco - Part 1 (9/21/1987)
- San Francisco - Part 2 (9/28/1987)
- San Francisco - Part 3 (10/5/1987)
- Hello, Nicky (10/12/1987)
- Grab Bag (10/19/1987)
- Breaking Away (10/26/1987)
- The Strike (11/2/1987)
- George's Brush With Life (11/9/1987)
- The Importance of Being Worthy (11/16/1987)
- A Hell of a Weekend (11/30/1987)
- Katherine, the Greek (12/7/1987)
- Simple Gifts (12/14/1987)
- The Four Tops: The Sequel (1/4/1988)
- Nerds Are People Too (1/11/1988)
- Taming of the Stew (1/18/1988)
- The Couch Potato Must Die (1/25/1988)
- The Cruise (2/1/1988)
- Dial K for Katherine (2/8/1988)
- Homecoming (2/15/1988)
- Basketball Blues (2/22/1988)
- Love Letters (3/14/1988)
- The Talk Show (3/21/1988)
- Parental Guidance Suggested (3/28/1988)
- Rub-a-Dub-Dub (4/4/1988)
- See George Run (4/11/1988)
The Sixth Season
- The Wild, Wild Webst (9/9/1988)
- The Painting (9/16/1988)
- The Quiz Show (9/23/1988)
- Papa's Big Romance (9/30/1988)
- The Election (10/7/1988)
- Sale Away (10/14/1988)
- The Crush (10/21/1988)
- The Chelsea Cat (10/28/1988)
- Take My Cousin, Please (11/4/1988)
- Heaven (11/11/1988)
- The Web-touchables - Part 1 (11/18/1988)
- The Web-touchables - Part 2 (11/25/1988)
- Rich Man, Poor Man (12/2/1988)
- Doing Time at the Community Center (12/9/1988)
- Bowled Over (12/16/1988)
- Thanksgiving with the Four Tops (1/6/1989)
- Here Come the Jets (1/13/1989)
- A Camping We Will Go (1/20/1989)
- Ticket to Ride (1/27/1989)
- The Science Project (2/3/1989)
- The Gospel Truth (2/10/1989)
- They Don't Shoot Horses, Do They? (2/17/1989)
- The Visitor (2/24/1989)
- Flood of Memories: The Final Chapter (3/3/1989)
- Webtrek (3/10/1989)
Thank you for visiting our Webster TV show page!
Copyright © 1997-2013 CrazyAboutTV.com
All rights reserved