Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much is enough!

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> Too much is enough!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LooneyToon

Too much is enough!      Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote

Why does it seem like every reality TV show lacks substance? I need some good reality TV that doesn’t have to do with gross girls competing for a gross guy. Does such a thing exist?

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reality shows      Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Search the TV listings for a more diverse selection of reality shows. The History Channel, Discovery Channel, TV Guide Channel, VH1, A&E, Bravo, public television channels, and others have reality shows from time to time.

PBS had a series for a while called "Carrier" about the lives of the people on an aircraft carrier. Now that's reality! "Dog the Bounty Hunter" is one of the most realistic reality shows about catching people who jump their bail. "Ice Road Truckers" was about these guys who drive equipment and freight back and forth from oil rigs in the Alaskan tundra. The only way to get there is to drive their semis loaded with tons of freight on iced over rivers and ocean! "Sand Hogs" is about the guys who work in the endless tunnels under New York City.

If those are too real for you and you don't mind scripted reality shows try "The Amazing Race" where teams travel all over the Earth on a moment's notice and have to compete in extreme challenges. It's won more awards than any other reality show on television. Do you see yourself as a future real estate magnate? If so, give shows like "Flip This House" a try where you'll see skilled investors buy distressed homes, totally restore them, and sell them for a (hopefully) big profit. (The current housing crunch won't last forever).

If you prefer shows with guys and gals, my favorite is "Beauty and the Geek". It's obviously very scripted but I enjoy the change in attitudes that take place during the season. The beauties end out appreciating the intellect and personalities of the geeks and the geeks learn that a pretty face doesn't automatically mean an empty skull.

I hope I've given you some ideas on how to improve your reality shows experience. For sure, there is no lack of choices to consider!

LooneyToon

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your suggestions!!! Smile

SOFarSoGood

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote

I know what you mean I wish they would make a reality show based about music.. and not like those making the band things but maybe about the musicians or being a musician or about different types of music.. idk

LooneyToon

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote

i just found out about Excellent adventure on fuse- seems like a good traveling show! you get to learn about the different music festivals and travel through each country! :p

SOFarSoGood

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Oh cool! Saw the TV Guide... it's on tonight Smile

jbron8

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote

beauty and the geek was pretty cool. is that show even on anymore?? another show i like watching from time to time is this show on VH1 called pick up artist i believe.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beauty and the Geek      Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote

I like Beauty and the Geek's message that people who are completely different from you might be worth knowing. Very few shows have such a positive message!

TheLifeOfMe
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote

I don't think any of them have any substance at all... They even try to make shows like the biggest loser into "The Family Edition" so they can keep beating a dead horse.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Does entertainment have to contain substance? Isn't it substantive if it allows one to get away from the pressures of life for an hour or two?

And then, if we can agree that entertainment doesn't have do anything but entertain, can we also agree that everyone's opinion on what helps them unwind best is different?

To use your example, I also don't care for The Biggest Loser but I sure do watch other stuff that also has no substance and I'd be willing to bet that most people have their own preferences for shows that don't benefit them in any way other than to entertain.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> Too much is enough! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved