Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You Bet Your Life

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Comedy -> You Bet Your Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

You Bet Your Life      Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quote

Welcome to the You Bet Your Life forum at CrazyAboutTV.com!

Feel free to simply read what others have said about You Bet Your Life starring Groucho Marx or use the "Post Message" buttons to leave a message of your own. Use the links to the right of the "post message" buttons to find another topic of interest to you, or click on the "Search" link at the top of any page!

If you would like to read more information, please visit our You Bet Your Life page!

Thanks for visiting!

douggg
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

Anyone have any of these shows?      Mon May 10, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote

I watched re-runs of this show in the late 70's and would like to know if by any chance anyone has any of them to share. Groucho had an amazing wit that is as funny today as it was 50-60 years ago.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

You Bet Your Life Dvds      Mon May 10, 2010 7:29 am Reply with quote

You Bet Your Life dvds are readily available from numerous sellers. Many of them are quite cheap. Just type in "You Bet Your Life Dvds" at any search engine and take your pick of sellers.

My local library also has the more expensive ones available to lend for free.

A bunch of episodes are also available on YouTube.

douggg
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

Re: You Bet Your Life Dvds      Mon May 10, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote

CrazyAboutTV wrote:
You Bet Your Life dvds are readily available from numerous sellers. Many of them are quite cheap. Just type in "You Bet Your Life Dvds" at any search engine and take your pick of sellers.

My local library also has the more expensive ones available to lend for free.

A bunch of episodes are also available on YouTube.

Thanks for your reply. I think there are only 6 or 9 /show episodes released to DVD by Shout Factory called You Bet Your Groucho.

On YouTube I've only been able to find a couple of few shows.

Can you provide any additional informaiton?

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Groucho Marx on Dvd      Mon May 10, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote

You must not have really tried what I suggested because you can buy at least 40 episodes at Amazon.com alone and there are considerably more than a couple of videos at YouTube and I only searched for 3 minutes.

douggg
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

Re: Groucho Marx on Dvd      Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote

CrazyAboutTV wrote:
You must not have really tried what I suggested because you can buy at least 40 episodes at Amazon.com alone and there are considerably more than a couple of videos at YouTube and I only searched for 3 minutes.

Thanks. Last time I looked on Amazon there were only a couple. Your reply also made me think of checking NetFlix. There are quite a few there too.

JazzLover

Groucho Marx is still the man!      Sat May 15, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote

50 years later and Groucho Marx's shows and movies are still hilarious! Amazing!

douggg
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

Re: Groucho Marx is still the man!      Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote

JazzLover wrote:
50 years later and Groucho Marx's shows and movies are still hilarious! Amazing!

I completely agree. There is one episode I'm after. Groucho had FBI agents showing off a new machine - the "lie detector machine". Remember this was only 10 years after WWII, during the cold war, McCarthy Era and when people in Hollywood were being black listed.

Groucho had the lie detector machine hooked up to the FBI agent and asked....
Are you married?
Kids?
Love your wife?
Do you the other guest (I think here name was Marilyn) is attractive?
As I recall the show abruptly went to a commercial or?

Groucho was brilliantly trying to show what our government (FBI) was trying to do while reminding us what a previous government in Europe had done and what they could have done if they had such a machine.

That show aired on 10/4/56, it was episode 56-02. It also features Groucho's father-in-law on the show.

If anyone has this episode or knows where I can get a copy please post.
Thank you.

misterg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Groucho Marx Vs. the Lie Detector      Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote

i couldn't find the one you're talking about with an fbi agent but here's one where some polygrapher hooks up groucho himself and asks him a bunch of questions:

groucho vs. the lie detector

douggg
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

Re: Groucho Marx Vs. the Lie Detector      Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Thank you. Maybe this is the one. Any idea what episode this was? Or the air date?

Thanks

douggg
Junior Novice Member
Junior Novice Member

What episode did Groucho make the cigar remark?      Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote

I was looking at something on Snopes and came across an entry saying the cigar line is false.
The guy tells Groucho he has seventeen kids.
Groucho says I smoke a cigar, but I take it out of my mouth occasionally.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/grouchocigar.asp

I am so positive I heard this Grouch clip or saw it on YouTube. I even seem to remember the guest was from Bakersfield. And I seem to recall it was on the TV show. I can almost picture the guy.

I figure this is the place to know for sure.

Did Groucho really say this? Or am I getting old and my memory is failing me?

If you have a link to the clip, please post.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Groucho Cigar Statement      Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I smoke a cigar, but I take it out of my mouth occasionally

In a 1972 interview with Roger Ebert that appeared in Esquire Magazine, Groucho himself stated that he had never said that. I found several other sources where Groucho's most ardent fans agree that they've never been able to find any evidence that he ever said that.

Of course, it's impossible to prove that something never happened but my guess is that he said something similar and was misquoted and then that misquote became folklore.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Comedy -> You Bet Your Life All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved