Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts
Goto page 1,
2  Next  
Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Musical/Variety/Game Shows -> Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts      Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts forum at CrazyAboutTV.com!

Feel free to simply read what others have said about Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts or use the "Post Message" buttons to leave a message of your own. Use the links to the right of the "post message" buttons to find another topic of interest to you, or click on the "Search" link at the top of any page!

If you would like to read more information about Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts, check out our Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts TV Show Page!

Thanks for visiting!

COLCJM2

June 16, 1958 show      Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote

My dad was on the June 16th,1958 show (Arthur Godfrey Talent Scouts)
and I have the original (aluminum master) 45 rpm record
of the piece he performed with the Berj Vaughn Quartet... Night
Train... Good stuff.. A little factoid- Charlie Callas was the drummer. He
went on to gain some fame in the Barnaby & Jones series.. My
dad kept playin the sax (one of the best ever- per "Boots Randolph") until
he died a year and a half ago... I wonder if anyone knows if
video of this show exists?

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts Forum      Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote

I think that there's only one show that has survived and it's from 1956 but I'm not sure.

Anyone else?

COLCJM2

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the information..

JazzLover

Talent scouts      Sat May 15, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote

Wasn't there some kind of scandal or something that killed the show? I think Arthur Godfrey ruthlessly fired one of the public's favorite people on the show or something?

Becky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Julius La Rosa Vs. Arthur Godfrey      Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote

You're referring to when Arthur Godfrey fired Julius La Rosa on the air with no notice to La Rosa. After La Rosa sang a song, Godfrey told the audience, "that was Julie's swan song with us".

Godfrey had given La Rosa his first big break by hiring him for several of his other shows (not Talent Scouts) but La Rosa eventually became a recording star and a big hit on TV. When he began getting more fan mail than Godfrey, Arthur just couldn't take what he felt was rejection by his audience and being surpassed by La Rosa.

It was really stupid because up until the firing, Godfrey was still hugely popular but after firing La Rosa in such a thoughtless and petty manner, Godfrey's fans abandoned him and never returned. You just didn't treat people that way back in those days without being shunned by the public.

misterg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mon May 17, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote

yeah, people expected more their heros to be perfect back in those days.

JazzLover

I hate that!      Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote

Don't you just hate people who use their power to dominate others! I'm glad to hear that he lost the adoration of his audience! Good riddance!

araldrich

Godfrey firings      Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Godfrey fired Julius LaRosa and Carmel Quinn on the air claiming ôlack of humility." Carmel Quinn lives in Ridgefield Park, NJ and is still performing like a trouper. I did the lighting for a recent telethon on which she appeared. She is a gracious lady and a true pro. LaRosa, if he is still alive, was doing condo shows in Florida, as was Eddie Fisher.

JazzLover

Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote

LaRosa is still alive as far as I can tell. Like many singers of that period, he continued performing at concert halls and supper clubs until at least 1999.

Becky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote

araldrich said:

Quote:
Godfrey fired Julius LaRosa and Carmel Quinn on the air claiming ôlack of humility."

I bet that "lack of humility" meant that they didn't suck up to Godfrey enough to suit him. Don't you just hate people like that?

VermontGal

Arthur Godfrey Talent Scouts      Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote

I'm looking for an old episode of the Arthur Godfrey Talent Scounts that my Mother Alma Bushway may have a appeared on. She was a tap dancer and she sang... She was a good friend of a trombone player named Lou McGarrity who performed with Benny Goodman. I have no idea when the performance aired. Thank you to anyone who may have seen this and can assist me!

NDwyer

Bill Potter?      Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote

My uncle was on this show several times, I believe. How can I find more info about the dates or episodes?

misterg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote

There's very little information available on those old shows. Unless your uncle was a big star it's unlikely that his credits are recorded anywhere public.

rcarey

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Trying to Track down Arthur Godfreys talent shows in 1955-56 and winner Bob Carey (my father) who went on to become one of the original Tarriers and their original 1956 hit song the Banana Boat song.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Musical/Variety/Game Shows -> Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved