Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show cancellations?

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> Show cancellations?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ironman1188

Show cancellations?      Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote

When do the networks announce what shows made it and which didn't?

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cancelled TV Shows      Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote

The timetable for announcing cancelled TV shows varies dramatically from one network to another and even from one show to another within the same network.

NBC, for example, might know for sure that a show is being cancelled and announce it mid way through its final season. They might not be sure whether a different series will make it or not until they see all of the next season's pilots. Another show might get cancelled in mid season with no notice at all.

In most cases, the word comes out somewhere between the end of one season and the beginning of the next.

ironman1188

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Ok, I wasn't sure if there were "usual" times. In these days of seasons running with fewer episodes, and summer series and winter series it gets confusing. I remember when I was a kid the shows ran from September thre May/June with November and May being the ratings sweep times. Nowadays, shows like "V" aren't even on long enough to hit either sweep. Starting in January and ending in March is hardly a season.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote

The major networks have so much more competition today from literally hundreds of other channels that it's difficult to gain a large enough audience to substantiate the cost of a 26 episode season.

Short seasons of a greater variety of shows tends to be more profitable and whether we fans like it or not, the networks are profit motivated corporations. It's actually, in my opinion, a good thing that Networks are driven by profit. If they didn't make money, no one would produce shows and we'd have nothing to watch at all.

Another good thing is that Networks used to produce a show and it got a profitable audience whether it was any good or not. Today we might get a lot of trash but we also get more choices. And when they get a hit, it does run for a full season.

So anyway, change can be tough to deal with but take it from this guy who can remember when there were only two channels of TV to choose from, things are MUCH better today. You just have to hunt through all of those choices to find the gold.

ironman1188

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote

LOL, thanks.

I'm old enough to remember when I was the remote for the only TV in the house. It was black & white and it only broadcast what my dad wanted to watch.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote

We got our first color TV so we could see the first episode of Bonanza in its full glory. So I guess I'll always remember what I was doing at 7:30 eastern time on September 12, 1959.

I'll never forget the first time I saw that NBC peacock spread its rainbow of feathers! It was a really big deal at the time!

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> Show cancellations? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved