Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roseanne

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Comedy -> Roseanne
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roseanne      Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to Roseanne at CrazyAboutTV.com forums!

Feel free to simply read what others have said about Roseanne or use the "Post Message" buttons to leave a message of your own. Use the links to the right of the "post message" buttons to find another topic of interest to you, or click on the "Search" link at the top of any page!

If you would like to read more information about Roseanne, you can find our web page about that show at:

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/roseanne.html

Thanks for visiting!

Last edited by CrazyAboutTV on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

RJohnson

Roseanne's appeal?      Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote

What was the attraction to the Roseanne series anyway? I don't get it!

It seemed like just another messed-up mom, dad, and kids show to me.

It seems like Roseanne herself has some attraction to people that simply escapes me! I hope it's not that many people identify with her ... oh no!!!!!!!!!!

noodah

Response to RJohnson's post      Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote

This is in response to RJohnson's post regarding why people watch the show:

Mr. or Ms. Johnson,
as a practicing psychologist and someone who holds a masterís degree in Film and Dramatic Arts, in London I want to respond to your post. I'm not sure if you watched the show, but I want to clarify some facts that may have passed you by if you indeed had ever watched the series.
First, if you have watched the show, the characters in the episode were not at all Ďabnormalí. In fact, I challenge you to find one episode where it showís someone doing something, or saying something that was out of the bounds of what any Ďnormalí family would say. In fact, in many ways the family was extremely true to life. Iím not sure what city, country, or planet you were raised in, but I can tell you that most families struggle with similar issues, with parents who are try to make ends meet, deal with adolescent kids and keep a household.
Ingeniously, the depiction of working class families in the 90ís did not overshadow the smart and witty lines, and the over all comedic dialogue between characters.

Second, casting and acting is superb! The show put together an ensemble of truly talented actors. A laymanís can compare it to many of the sitcoms on air today to agree with this conclusion.

The show rarely contradicted itself. At the end of the episode, it fooled its critics who claimed that the show Ďjumped the sharkí with the family winning the lottery. In the final episode, it came full circle. Making the viewer think, and reflect not only on the last year of the show, but what is truly important in our own lives. How many sitcoms have you seen lately that have achieved that at the final episode.

Although most people were confused (and sometimes when television viewers are not spoon fed, they usually are) the last episode created an opportunity for viewers to think. If you look around on the net, they are doing a lot of it. The full circle was not out of touch with reality. It did not presume that the whole show was some autistic kidís imagination (like some highly acclaimed show had done). It stayed within the realm of reality. It explained the craziness audiences experienced in the last year.

In conclusion RJohnson, if critics of the show would take their nose out from somewhere deep within their body, they would see that the show WAS indeed a reflection of working class people. The Connorís were honest working people. Aside from taking mayo from the dinner that Rosanne worked in, they never stole, or hurt others. They did fib on their taxes in one episode, but some how I have the feeling YOU would not consider them amoral for that. They dealt with what many people deal with when relating to their children, their sisters, their crazy parents and spouses. They had financial hardships, loss of jobs, crazy adolescent kids and problems with weight. I wonder about the person who wonders how people can relate to them.

I hope that if you have not watched the show that you do, with keener eyes and a new perspective. If you do and still cannot understand how people can relate to the show, I suggest that you forget about watching TV and walk down Middle America Street and SPEAK to people about their issues. The real world may shed some light into the success of the show.

Youlovenicole

Yeah      Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Kinda what he said. But in my case I watched the show everyday to excape my crazy family life. As a child I wanted to be in the Connor family. They have helped me threw some hard times and I wish they didn't have to go off air when they did.

laverne@willapabay.org

A real friend!      Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote

I would enjoy some good two way talks with you , you are my kind of friend and I am about your age, female, and I have been kicked around alot like you only with out the wealth, and fame.
Does the fame make your life harder or easier than our age troubled, and poor? I'm straight, married, and a grandma five times. I still don't know what the hell life is really about. Any help? Sign me laverne.
I would hope this will reach you in the flesh. Signed, A big fan.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kevin Healy or David?      Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:39 am Reply with quote

Quote:
In another thread, kittyka1 asked:

On the first episode that Mark Healy's brother appeared on the Roseanne show, his name was Kevin! How did he suddenly become and remain David? Was he only Kevin on that one episode? I just saw this episode on tv two days ago and it has been driving me crazy ever since. Does anyone have any info about this? Thanks, if you do.

Roseanne Barr wanted to call Johnny Galecki's character David from the very beginning but Johnny was already playing a character named David on another series and there were rules against that. The other series ended right after his first episode was shot, however, so his name could then be changed to David.

I've added this as a trivia item (and elaborated) on our Roseanne TV Show Page. Check it out!

kittyka1

Thanks for the info      Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for filling me on the Kevin to David issue. It seems so odd that this is the explanation, but I believe you if you say it is the case. What series was Johnny on before in which he played another David? Speaking of Johnny, I totally love the show the Big Bang Theory. It is so funny. Actually, last season was funnier, but it is a unique show with very different characters. Thanks again.

kittyka1

response to RJ Robinson      Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote

What shows do you like if not Roseanne? The humor was so real. Roseanne said things that we all would love to say but don't. I loved the constant joking within the family and the relationship Roseanne and Dan shared. They really seemed like a great couple. Of course, Roseanne was a control freak and a bit nutty, but she was so real. I happen to have a major crush on John Goodman! Don't ask! Great, great show! Watch it some more and you may appreciate it for the compelling sitcom it is. Happy viewing.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
What series was Johnny on before in which he played another David?

It was titled "Billy".

CHRISTY1

Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:42 am Reply with quote

Just wondering can anyone tell me who the band was that guest starred on the show I cant recall and hubby loved the band Very Happy

jessi

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote

The Blues Travelers featuring John Popper, who also sang the theme song and played harmonica.

JazzLover

Cast Roseanne as Jeannie?      Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote

So am I imagining what I'm seeing or was Roseanne cast in the lead role on I Dream of Jeannie?

Just kidding (again!)

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Roseanne Kissing Co-Stars?      Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote

Johnny Galecki and Sara Gilbert who formerly co-starred on Roseanne and have shared an on stage kiss on Galecki's series, "Big Bang Theory". They were recently quizzed about whether or not any real life kissing ever went on during their Roseanne years on the CBS weekday series, "The Talk".

Galecki said that they had a mutual crush on each other and Sara confirmed that they had dated but seemed to wish that the subject would change. Galecki went on about how he remembered some "makeout" sessions and Gilbert was obviously embarassed.

Galecki also said that he was nervous about their kiss on Big Bang Theory because Gilbert would know whether or not his style had improved or not over the last twenty years.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Comedy -> Roseanne All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved