Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Reverend Billy Rock?

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> The Reverend Billy Rock?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paladin

The Reverend Billy Rock?      Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote

Does anyone remember a character from a comedic TV show, who played the part of a raving televangelist named "Billy Rock" or "Reverend Billy Rock? In his faux messages, he would say one particular line, "YOU DON'T DO DRUGS.... YOU DO ROCK & ROLL!!!" Because he was so emphatic, the bits were extremely funny, and I have always remembered that line. The actor did a great job and his energy was impressive. In retrospect, it reminds me of Jim Carrey's energy level.

To my knowledge, the show wasn't a sitcom. It was more like an SNL, Mad TV, Kids In The Hall, or in that vein. This is all I can remember, and for all I know my memories might be jumbled, confused, or otherwise discombobulated. The era had to be sometime in the 80s or early 90s (at latest).

Was this show a regularly scheduled show? Did this character appear more than once? If anyone does know what show this character was from, or anything more about the character & show, is it possible to get video of it, or see it somewhere online?

Any info someone can provide would be great. Thank you.

xearther

Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote

"What? Am I... ALONE on this one?"

That was the good Reverend's second outstanding line when there was little if any reaction from the audience to one of his jokes. Remember, paladin? Wink

Here are more clues for you. Sorry there aren't more. And sorry I only just stumbled upon your post almost 10 months later.

The show was in the *early* 80s.

It was shot at Six Flags Magic Mountain in So Cal.

A very young Howie Mandel also appeared on the show.

It was very short lived.

Over the decades now and then I bring Billy Rock up - no one remembers him... except you. You are the first I've found.

So I wasn't hallucinating... that time Wink

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote

I think you are talking about a sketch comedy series titled, "Laugh Trax".

I'm not sure who played the part of Billy Rock but the only other actors I can find who are credited with being on the show are Jim Fisher, Gail Matthius, Jim Staahl, Lucy Webb and Frank Welker. I assume that it was one of those guys but there's so little info at my sources on this show that there may have been others that no one is listing.

Last edited by CrazyAboutTV on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

xearther

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote

That's IT! My brain which behaves more like an aluminum sieve instead of a steel trap concurs with your information. Wink

The name in your list that seemed right to me was Jim Staahl. I remember "Billy Rock" appearing tall, slender, and blond.

Checking "Jim Staahl" in Google Images... BINGO!

"The Jims" were teachers and comedy writers in LA.

It looks like Jim also teaches screenwriting through the Extension program at UCLA. That is most definitely something I'm going to investigate.

"No accidents", eh? Wink

Thank you, admin!

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> The Reverend Billy Rock? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved