Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virus Message

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Report Problems/Errors Here Or At Our Site -> Virus Message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MercaLoday

Virus Message      Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Just received a message from the "Administrator" of the forumn saying I have a virus on my computer and directing me to a website for a "scan". The website (antivirus.effectmeds.com) is a bogus and probably a malware site from what I have read (I didn't go there). They are attacking multiple forumns with bogus messages pretending to be from the "Administrator". Beware & don't click!

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Virus Message      Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote

That message most certainly wasn't from any CrazyAboutTV Forum administrator.

This forum is just like your email or any other way that you can be contacted. If you are directed to click on a link, you need to be 100% sure who is offering you the link.

In most cases, if someone is offering you something of value for free, there is an underlying reason and you should be extremely suspicious.

There is no way that I as an Administrator of the forum can keep others from sending you private messages. As far as bogus links in forum posts are concerned, we clean them off the forum at least once every 24 hours and usually at least twice per day.

Becky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Viruses stink and so do spammers!      Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote

I've noticed that many of the bogus emails like the ones you're talking about either ask you to click on a link that goes to some anonymous website or the email has a file attached that they ask you to click on.

I never open an email attachment unless I know who the sender is AND there's a good reason why they needed to send me an attachment.

I also never click on a link in an email unless it goes to a site that I am familiar with. So if CrazyAboutTV.com did send me an email with a link, I wouldn't click on it if the link address was to "xomen.com" or something else I didn't recognize. Also be careful of links like "crazyabouttv.xomen.com". Even though that url starts with crazyabouttv, it's actually going to "xomen.com". If a url is going to a page at crazyabouttv called "xomen", the url will look like this: "crazyabouttv.com/xomen.html".

I know that might still be confusing for some of you but it's helpful to understand URL structure if you don't to be fooled by the spammers who make themselves appear to be someone you trust.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Report Problems/Errors Here Or At Our Site -> Virus Message All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved