Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Anti-Spam Measures Enacted

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> What's New At CrazyAboutTV.com! -> New Anti-Spam Measures Enacted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Anti-Spam Measures Enacted      Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote

To further reduce the absolutely ridiculous amount of forum spam that is literally causing webmasters to abandon their forums, we have taken these further steps:

1. New users must now get a confirmation by email before they can post messages here. This has nearly eliminated the spam posts, many of which I used to have to delete manually and doesn't seem to have slowed down the rate of new members at all.

2. Users will no longer be able to list a website address when registering and no website addresses previously listed will be displayed anywhere at the forum. This should eliminate many spammers that simply sign up in order to get a link to their site. I apologize to the few of you who had links to your personal homepage. There is simply no way to pick and choose who gets to place a link here and who doesn't without hours per week of work.

3. Email addresses are no longer displayed anywhere to eliminate your and my spam due to harvesting email addresses at this forum.

Believe me! These are just the latest in literally dozens of actions I've taken to decrease spam here. Of course, I will continue to use the spam filters that keep most of the spammy posts from getting through and will continue to delete posts that the filters didn't get. Again, I apologize for the occasional good post that gets blocked by the filters. It doesn't happen often, but does occasionally. If you do see an offensive post here, be certain that it will be removed very shortly.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote

As I've stated elsewhere, if any of our spam filters have caused any of you to have posts rejected and you feel it was unjust or in error, please private message me and, if possible, include information about why the forum software said your post was rejected if that is applicable.

Thanks for your help!

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> What's New At CrazyAboutTV.com! -> New Anti-Spam Measures Enacted All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved