Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"TV-ese"...TV Expressions that Live On

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General Discussion -> "TV-ese"...TV Expressions that Live On
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vhmom
Novice Member
Novice Member

"TV-ese"...TV Expressions that Live On      Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Gentle TV-Watchers....The other day I realized that, despite flat-screen TV's and HULU and TV on mobile devices, etc, etc, some expressions of the by-gone days of TV are still with us; or, according to my son, only with me.

I still use:
"Tune to channel X, your show is on!" - as in "Stay tuned"
"Don't change the station." and when I'm adament about it I will say
"Don't touch that dial!"

Sometimes, I wonder exactly why I do this...it doesn't feel awkward to me; but sometimes I do use these terms knowing that I helping to keep them alive - by passing on part of my TV memory to my son.

I invite you to please add or share other expressions that are still with us, even though they no longer "make sense" in the here and now.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote

The most popular TV term I can think of is "aired" or "on the air". I'm sure that I've done that many times here at CrazyAboutTV.com. For example, saying that an episode of an HBO series "aired" last night when HBO is never broadcast over the air. I guess you could still technically say that about the major network shows even though 98% of viewers see them on cable.

With internet TV becoming more and more predominate perhaps one day we'll have a new term. "Has that episode of Desperate Housewives been 'WEBed' yet"?

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General Discussion -> "TV-ese"...TV Expressions that Live On All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved