Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Death Penalty Pros and Cons

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General Discussion -> The Death Penalty Pros and Cons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmason
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

The Death Penalty Pros and Cons      Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote

I suspect that I'm in the minority on the pros and cons of the Death Penalty but I hope that my reasoning will make sense to most of you. Embarassed

I don't believe that there should be any death penalty for any crime. It's not that I have any religious reasons or that I feel any sympathy for those criminals that commit horrendous crimes Exclamation

I just think that when looking at history, it's a huge mistake to allow a government to put anyone to death. It's a method that's been used over and over again throughout history by tyrants to eliminate their opposition Twisted Evil When I say that to people I often get told, "But the U.S. is a Democracy so that can't happen here". How soon we forget that Nazi Germany evolved from a Democracy Exclamation President Nixon used U.S. law to go after his enemies using the IRS so why not a future President declaring martial law, suspending juries, and issuing death sentences. I'm not saying that I believe that's likely, just possible. I don't believe that any future President would enslave anyone either but I see the value in laws that absolutely prohibit that Exclamation

So I fully understand the emotions that cause people to want the criminal who kidnapped and killed their 8-year-old daughter to get the death penalty. Hell, I would like to kill that guy myself. But as a society we should look at the bigger picture and the bigger good. Wink

While eliminating the death penalty wouldn't guarantee that no future government would kill their enemies, it would put one more obstacle in the way. Along with Miranda laws, the right to an attorney, and the right to a jury, a ban on the death penalty is a smart move in my book Very Happy

freespirit
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thou shall not kill? or murder?      Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote

Well before someone says that God said, "Thou shall not kill" be aware that there's nothing in the Bible that talks against putting criminals to death.

The commandment is more correctly translated to, "You shall not murder".

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines murder as, "the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought".

Since criminal executions are done legally, the government is not murdering anyone so God should have no problem with that.

Of course, as johnmason pointed out, by that reasoning God would also have no problem with Nazi executions since they were technically legal.

Ok, now my head's starting to hurt thinking about that! Bye!

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General Discussion -> The Death Penalty Pros and Cons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved