Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FORGOTTEN TV SHOWS

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> FORGOTTEN TV SHOWS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uubob

FORGOTTEN TV SHOWS      Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote

I've mentioned the following shows to many people through the years, and NOBODY else remembers them. They're definitely not my imagination because when my family came back from France in 1956, I got to see TV for the first time, and I've been hooked on TV and movies ever since.

1. East Side, West Side. Starred George C. Scott as a social worker.

2. Silent Service. About submariners and their adventures. Opened with a sub doing an emergency surface, bow high.

3. Tales of Texas Rangers. The show opened with a Ranger walking on a street toward camera as more Rangers joined him. I remember some of the theme song...

Thanks,
uubob

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote

The only one I remember watching was East Side / West Side. Cicely Tyson was also a regular on that one. She went on to win two Emmys for her role as a 110-year-old slave in the 1974 TV movie, "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman". She had a pretty decent career which could have been much greater in scope but she always refused to play the maid, nanny, and household cook roles that black actresses were typically offered in the 1960s. She only took roles that portrayed black women as strong and positive members of American society. Good for her!

George C. Scott played a social worker on East Side / West Side who got involved in the expected cases including child abuse, drug addicts, the plights of the poor in general, and people ripping off the welfare system.

The series ran for 26 episodes during the 1963-1964 season.

ironman1188

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote

I know how you feel uubob.
Nobody ever seems to recall Code R when I mention it. It was a short summer series in the 70's. I think CBS if I recall correctly.

RiverratMike

Old TV Shows, Silent Service      Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote

I remember Silent Service well. Channel 7 in Los Angeles, same as Navy Log. About the late 50's. Each episode was about the achievements of the submarine service. Part reinactments and part original WW II war footage.

Mike

renobe

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote

In the same vain . The series Victory At Sea. I believe it was on TV sometime around 1953. The series won a Emmy. More info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_at_Sea

Last edited by renobe on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

FlaminL

I Remember Mama, Martha Raye Show      Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote

They're not on the list (?)

Characters: Lars, TJ, Mama, and.. (can't remember the daughter's name)

Martha Raye, and her 'Goomba' Rocky Graziano and...?

Anyone have any recollections?

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Martha Raye was something else! She wasn't a beauty but she could sing and dance like a pro and she was a comedy dynamo!

She was a real character. She was a movie star who couldn't read her scripts due to illiteracy, flew often with a severe fear of flying, got married (for the final time) after knowing her husband for only 30 days, was an honorary Green Beret and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bill Clinton.

If an author wrote a novel about such a fictional character everyone would say it was too unbelievable but that was Martha! I suggest you check out her full biography. She sure didn't live a common or boring life!

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> FORGOTTEN TV SHOWS All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved