Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golden Days of Television

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> Golden Days of Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
old timer

Golden Days of Television      Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I've watched a lot of tv, but memory isn't as good as it once was.

I've been thinking about a young lady that had just got her own? TV show when it was discovered she had a tumor, I think behind her eye. I remember feeling really sad for her, but think everything turned out OK, but for the life of me I can't remember any more, not her name or the shows name, or even the decade. I've scanned the shows in the 50s, 60s, and 70s but nothing has rung the bell.

Can anybody help? This is really bugging me.

I remember our first TV though. Came home from school and Dad was in the back yard assembling an 4 x TV antenna. Why? I never expected we would get a tv? But that evening we went to Sears and picked up a 21" console TV. So neat watching those fuzzy snowy pictures, and waiting for the Indian to go away and broadcasting to start. Howdy Doody was my favorite then. Ah to be young again.

Sure appreciate any help with my memory.

Old Timer

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote

You're talking about one of my favorite "girl next door" actresses, "Sandy Duncan"! The show was called "Funny Face" and it was cancelled after 13 episodes because of Sandy's surgery on her optic nerve and her recovery.

Just one year later Sandy got another series appropriately titled, "The Sandy Duncan Show" but it had tremendous competition in its time slot from "The F.B.I." and the "NBC Sunday Mystery Movie" that it also only lasted 13 episodes.

Remarkably, 15 years after her 2nd series failed, Sandy struck gold with her starring role on "The Hogan Family". That series began as "Valerie" but Valerie Harper decided to leave after one season and Sandy took over as the lead character for 78 more episodes!

In the 80s, Sandy was on TV regularly as the spokeswoman on Wheat Thins commercials and in the 90s she hosted Thanksgiving parades, teen pageants, and dance competitions while also starring in several Broadway plays! In the 2000s, she has continued to star on tour in Broadway plays.

So while Sandy probably appreciated our pity at one time, she certainly doesn't require it anymore! What a tremendous talent!

By the way, I don't remember my first TV but I do remember my first color TV. When Bonanza started broadcasting in color, everybody wanted one! The first time you saw that NBC Peacock spread its rainbow of feathers ... well, you just don't forget those kind of memories!

I also agree with your "to be young again" sentiment! They say that youth is wasted on the young but I sure didn't waste mine! I had a blast! And I still occasionally have a memorable time. It's not over til it's over, that's for sure!

old timer

Sandy Duncan      Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote

Thanks so much. this is a great resource.

That brought back a lot of memories, I had some of it right.

The color TV's I first saw were just some color splashed on the screen, but in areas and didn't respond to changes in movement. I thought this was color tv for years.

But one day I was over to a friends house and his mom had Bonanza on their console zenith. WOW! They had a court scene and the flag was in perfect color. I couldn't believe how beautiful the picture was.

Still today, when I see Bonanza on TV LAND I'm amazed at the lighting and great camera work. Everything is so clear and picture perfect. Not like todays shoddy, hard to see whats in the picture, shows. Maybe it was because color was new that they took pains to get it right?

We didn't get a color tv until I was away at college 1966. That Summer I watched a lot of tv, it was like having a Motion Picture Theater right there in the living room. It was a round tube Sears set.

Now as I age, I really appreciate the old shows. No Sex, killing, drugs ect.
Just an escape from reality. And with the color and high resolution camers in use today, along with cable, even on my old regular tv, I get exceptional pictures. The old shows look great, better than I've ever seen them. Philo Farnsworth would be pleased!

Ok, I'm rambling. I'll get off my soap box. Thanks again for the info.

Old Timer (seems hard to think of myself as that)

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

The best site on the web for legally viewing TV shows that I've found is:

fancast.com

They list shows from hulu.com, abc, cbs, nbc, etc. etc. etc.!

I watched a 30 minute episodes (the pilot, I think) of "Sea Hunt" yesterday. I may have seen it when it aired new but I was only six-years-old at the time so I had no memory of it. It was about a Jet test pilot who crashed into the ocean and ended out alive but trapped under 60 feet of water. Of course, they sent for expert diver Mike Nelson (played by the legendary Lloyd Bridges) and ... well, I won't ruin it for anybody.

Anyway ... it was as good as anything on TV today even in black & white! And, you're right about a great show like that not requiring any foul language, sexual inuendos, drug users, etc. to be entertaining. They had writers that could capture your attention and hold it without such things in those days.

I don't have a problem with the language and stuff where it reflects what the characters would be likely to do in real life but it seems like they almost always overdo it for effect. That's the lousy writer's way out in my opinion.

NatureMuzic
Novice Member
Novice Member

I could not agree more you two      Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote

TV back in the goilden days was so much better. Not to say there aren't some fine shows now, as there is, but across the board, it was a simpler, better time on the tube espcially! I am no prude, but I believe TV, esp. befpre 8-9 in the evening, should be reserved for clean,d ecent shows. Where I live in southern CA., eveery night from 7-8, on a local channel - KTla 5 - is Two & a Half Men. Now, I do find it funny, but it may be the closest to an R rated TV show, esp. at 7 PM !

Why do the Networks have to abide, somewhat these days, to a more strict code of morals, if youi will, re: when they can show TV shows of a racier genre, than local channels or shopws in syndication ? I mean, if your 12 year old is watching TV at 7, it matters not that CBS, NBC & NBC are abding by the rules, yet all the Indie channels are shwoing very suggestive shows ?

Most of my favorite shows are from a better time; The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Bill Cosby Show, Donna Reed Show, etc. & none had sex, violence, gore, etc., no, they relied on excellent writing, casting & of course, acting. Many of today's show are very weak on writing & casting, & even acting & rely, instead on the "cheap" tricks to get viewers to watch.

There is a show I find quite enjoyable, & it'a via ABC, called the Middle, as in middle america, as this family lives in IN. & so far, I have seen no trash on it & there is solid writing & some good acting by Patricia Heaton, the man who plays her husband, their middle child, a nervous 13 year old & a cute little kid, named Brick, that has a delivery of lines not seen very often; & he whispers to an invisible friend! But the parents both work, the kids are dealing w/ the trials of life, & it's not at all a bad show.

Which takes me to a truly great show - by my standards at least - in the 80's, The Wonder Years! The lead role, Kevin, grew up in the same time I did; 60's & 70's. So I completely relate to everything about that show; the music, the clothes, the attitudes, relationships, all the change in our nation. I think the partial narration adds so much to the show as well. I am currently puttinmg my hand written words into Word for my childhood Memoirs & am including so much of what one would see on The Wonder Years.

Anyway, I have rambled far too m uch but wanted to chime in on your posts & thanks for the website as I will be checking that out!

AidansMom

Better tv years ago?      Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote

I think that sometimes people fantasize about how much better things were when they were younger. My dad once told me that when he was a kid there were only two television stations available in his town. Even when cable tv first came out, he only had less than 25 channels.

It's hard for me to believe that with hundreds of channels and internet tv today that the number of quality shows isn't much higher today. We're just spoiled and we tend to dwell on the bad shows.

yellowstone

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote

From dragnet the tv series. did sgt friday ever said this "we have hire from the human race. This was in response to a police officer mistake.

I am getting my BS admend. of justice. the upove quote is for my paper.
on police ethics.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote

Sgt. Friday said that the problem with hiring "perfect" cops that never make mistakes is that police departments must "recruit from the human race".

This phrase became so popular with cops all over the country that they often quoted Friday when one of their cops screwed up evidence or mis-treated a civilian.

It's a very controversial statement because while there's no denying that humans (and therefore cops) are fallible, cops are also highly trained so when one continues to kick or beat a totally subdued suspect over and over again ... well, that's really unforgivable as their training clearly prohibits that.

In other words, the mistake has to be "human", not "inhuman". And not illegal.

freespirit
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote

That's right! It's human to faint when you see someone with their chest ripped open but you hope that your well-trained cardiac surgeon won't do so.

Cops are trained to use minimal force to apprehend a suspect. Once the guy's on the ground, covering his head with his arms or handcuffed, it's hard to understand why more force is necessary.

There's no doubt that in many cases the suspect is a really rotten person. They may be unco-operative or even saying bad things about the cops mother but that's no excuse. They are supposed to be professionals.

But let's be sure to acknowledge that most of them are professionals and they risk their lives for our safety every day. Honor the good cops and take away the badges of the other ones.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> Golden Days of Television All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved