Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roswell
Goto page
Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Science Fiction -> Roswell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dillon

Typical "believer" response      Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote

You guys who believe in everything are really funny!

Quote:
Just because somebody has extra time to spare, has an affinity for jokes, mocking proof/ or whitnesses (albeit poor) by producing quality films and lies to go along with it doesn't make the subject at hand entirely without credibility.

The fake film doesn't prove that aliens aren't here, you're correct. But the "believers" were saying that the film proved aliens were here and now we know better and your response is, "That doesn't disprove it".

Quote:
This doesn't mean that the alien autopsy never took place.

See! You admit the film was a hoax but you're still clinging to the idea that the autopsy took place ... with absolutely no evidence whatsoever!

Quote:
I'm not condoning a covert op arrangement by the gov., by any means, but people aren't ready to be told anything yet!

That's two more of the "classic" "believer" arguments. The government has the desire and the ability to hide anything it desires from anyone it desires. HOGWASH! We know now that the Russians and the Germans were getting almost daily reports on the Manhattan Project which was the tightest security project in U.S. history. People talk! They tell their mates and the mates tell their best friends and the best friends tell their best friends.

And it's just common sense that people just couldn't possibly deal with the knowledge that aliens exist no matter what the circumstances. We dealt with the knowledge of concentration camps, torture, the black plague, mustard gas, etc. but we'd never handle the existence of aliens.

Quote:
science holds the key to every answer

Only the "believers" ever say that. No scientist would ever claim to have all the answers. Science is a method used to "GET" the answers and scientists follow a strict procedure in doing that. Scientists begin by speculating that something might be true. Then they gather evidence and design experiments to PROVE those speculations either true or false. Then other unrelated scientists are given all of their data and they repeat the process to see if the original scientist's proof can stand up to scrutiny.

Now "believers" would never consider using those methods. Their methods are:

1. Find people who say they've seen proof but can't duplicate it.
2. Say the government's hiding the truth from us.
3. Say, "Prove me wrong".
4. Say they've got evidence but they won't release it to anyone for independent study. (The government would steal it, of course)
5. Show evidence that they feel proves something (UFO Pictures, for example) but experts either disprove it or can't reach a conclusion because of the quality of the evidence.
6. Say they had evidence and lots of witnesses saw it, but the aliens or the government took it away.

Of course, you can make a case for anything using those methods.

"Flying purple people eaters are real! The government is hiding the truth from us. Prove me wrong! I have evidence but I will only let "believer" experts look at it because, otherwise, the government or the Flying Purple People Eaters will take it away."

Get my point!

lhilad

Re: Typical "believer" response/ holding a bias      Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Dillon"]You guys who believe in everything are really funny!

This really doesn't surprise me! You twist and turn connotations around to suit your own twisted mind...how oportunistic of you.

Quote:
Just because somebody has extra time to spare, has an affinity for jokes, mocking proof/ or whitnesses (albeit poor) by producing quality films and lies to go along with it doesn't make the subject at hand entirely without credibility.

[quote="Dillon"] The fake film doesn't prove that aliens aren't here, you're correct. But the "believers" were saying that the film proved aliens were here and now we know better and your response is, "That doesn't disprove it".

Quote:
This doesn't mean that the alien autopsy never took place.

[quote="Dillon"] See! You admit the film was a hoax but you're still clinging to the idea that the autopsy took place ... with absolutely no evidence whatsoever!

I was simply lightly quoting someone else's remarks. I never stated whether the film is or isn't hoaxed!! My point was (and still is) that IF the film was a hoax (it could easily be said, if it were authentic), the subject at hand is still questionable (i.e. it took place no matter what kind of evidence you have for or against). It could very have taken place.

If I told you I saw it, that I was there, that is I worked there during that time period...would you believe me? You would probably write me off as a lune. This is my point! Who would believe me?

Quote:
I'm not condoning a covert op arrangement by the gov., by any means, but people aren't ready to be told anything yet!

[quote="Dillon"] That's two more of the "classic" "believer" arguments. The government has the desire and the ability to hide anything it desires from anyone it desires. HOGWASH! We know now that the Russians and the Germans were getting almost daily reports on the Manhattan Project which was the tightest security project in U.S. history. People talk! They tell their mates and the mates tell their best friends and the best friends tell their best friends.

Not so...not if your life is threatened!!! Don't be so naive!

[quote="Dillon"] And it's just common sense that people just couldn't possibly deal with the knowledge that aliens exist no matter what the circumstances. We dealt with the knowledge of concentration camps, torture, the black plague, mustard gas, etc. but we'd never handle the existence of aliens.

Sarcasim aside, I think you've got the point here!

Quote:
science holds the key to every answer

This is a partial quote!!!! You only quoted the sarcasm of the quote!!

[quote="Dillon"] Only the "believers" ever say that. No scientist would ever claim to have all the answers. Science is a method used to "GET" the answers and scientists follow a strict procedure in doing that. Scientists begin by speculating that something might be true. Then they gather evidence and design experiments to PROVE those speculations either true or false. Then other unrelated scientists are given all of their data and they repeat the process to see if the original scientist's proof can stand up to scrutiny.

[quote="Dillon"] Of course, you can make a case for anything using those methods.

It's faith that never faulters. Science is toooo slow and close minded to see what hits others in the face. Cool

Dillon

Is slow always bad?      Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote

Quote:
If I told you I saw it, that I was there, that is I worked there during that time period...would you believe me?

Again, if you simply said so, no. I wouldn't just accept it. If you had any papers to show that you lived anywhere near there, could show that you are qualified in a career that would make sense for you to be there, pay stubs, health club membership in the area, knowledge that only a worker there would know, or SOME kind of evidence ... then maybe you'd get my attention at least. The problem is that most people who make such claims have NOTHING BUT their word and, no, that's just not enough.

I stated that people talk. It's the human thing to do. We know that the Russians and Germans got regular briefings on our progress on the Manhattan Project to build the A-Bomb during WWII. The most secretive government run project in history. And your response was:

Quote:
Not so...not if your life is threatened!!! Don't be so naive!

So you're saying that the U.S. government threatening to kill U.S. citizens if they talk about their knowledge of aliens would eliminate the problem but we know that people talked during the most secretive project ever. One that if the enemy got there first may have resulted in worldwide Nazi rule or (at the time we believed) communist worldwide domination. But that wasn't as dangerous I guess as people simply learning that aliens exist!

You also say that I only partially quoted you when you said that science thinks it has the answers to all questions. You said that was just the sarcastic part of the quote. Why do you find it necessary to use sarcasm. You can't tell a lie (which is what that statement was) and then say, "Oh gee, I was just being sarcastic". Stick to the truth and you'll have no problem with my quotes.

Quote:
Science is toooo slow and close minded

Science is slow not toooo slow. That's built into the system to ensure that things aren't assumed to be true before the evidence becomes overwhelming. The believers have no problem jumping to conclusions. They're definitely much faster at assuming things are true. Problem is that also often means you'll be wrong. As for science being "close-minded", there have been cases of that in the past. Once a theory, for example, has been generally accepted by the scientific community, there's a lot of resistance to changing that idea. But once the new idea is accepted, you can bet there's a 99% chance it's true. That's a good result in the long run. And don't get me wrong on this! If you can produce some alien DNA, a metal mankind can't produce, something technological that we don't understand, etc., the scientific community will accept you with enthusiasm! They're in the "discovering" business. That's their life! You think they wouldn't love proof of aliens?

And in the case of being closed-minded about aliens visiting Earth, there's insufficient evidence at this time (by a long shot) for science to consider the possibility. That's not being closed-minded. That's using your head to guide your beliefs. Fuzzy photos and testimony from people with no hard evidence about something they saw has NEVER been used to substantiate ANYTHING by science and they're NOT going to make an exception for your unfounded belief in alien visitations.

lhilad

Re: Is slow always bad? In this case...yes!      Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
And in the case of being closed-minded about aliens visiting Earth, there's insufficient evidence at this time (by a long shot) for science to consider the possibility. That's not being closed-minded. That's using your head to guide your beliefs. Fuzzy photos and testimony from people with no hard evidence about something they saw has NEVER been used to substantiate ANYTHING by science and they're NOT going to make an exception for your unfounded belief in alien visitations.

I smell naivetivity, but oh well! I know what I know, and you can go back to your own small little world pretending that there is nothing else. Please by all means, go back to reading the latest scientific journals to see if you missed anything.... Rolling Eyes

Dillon

With No Evidence, the "Believers" resort to insult      Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote

Now we come to the final stage of the "believer's" argument. They insult you!

Quote:
I smell naivetivity

The definition of "naivety" is simple and unsophisticated. So there's no doubt that's an unfounded insult.

Quote:
you can go back to your own small little world

Now unless the aliens told you something I don't know, my world is the same size as yours. Of course, you didn't mean it in that context. It was another insult, inferring that since I don't agree with you, I'm not too sharp. Again, unfounded.

Quote:
go back to reading the latest scientific journals

I will! Never miss them! And I'm sure you'll go back to reading your UFO, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, and Leprechaun magazines.

lhilad

Open your senses      Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Dillon"] Now unless the aliens told you something I don't know,

Aahh...alas humor!

[quote="Dillon"] my world is the same size as yours.

Actually, your world is as big as you make it!

Most people are born with 5 senses, some even more. Some can learn to use more than 5. Are you getting the picture? Obviously, for these kinds of people, the world has expanded just a tad more.

Dillon wrote:
And I'm sure you'll go back to reading your UFO, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, and Leprechaun magazines.

More humor...interesting.

freespirit
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Calm Down Boys!      Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote

Don't let yourselves get all worked up guys! If there are aliens here, apparently we can't do anything about it, so we might just as well keep on living our lives.

If they're not here, then there's no problem at all!

CRISSY

"ROSWELL", ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS EVER      Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote

THE PERSON WHO CANCELLED ROSWELL IS CRAZY!! THAT SHOW WILL ALWAYS REMAIN ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES. THE CAST WAS BEAUTIFUL AND REALLY GOOD ACTORS AND THE STORY LINE WAS SOMETHING I HAD NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I MISS THAT SHOW SO MUCH BUT AT LEAST I DO HAVE THREE GOOD SEASONS THAT I CAN WATCH ANY TIME THAT I WANT, ALTHOUGH IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE MORE. I WOULD'VE PAID $100.00 FOR ANY OF THE BOX SETS IF I HAD TO!

debo

are they crazy (BEST SHOW EVER)      Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote

I really do not know why this show got canceled . I did not here much about this movie when it was on . Maybe that was the problem. I got hooked off of some reruns . So I rented seasons 1,2 and 3. Then I bought them . I also thought it had a great cast , it seemed that every actor was made for their part . I wish someone would bring this show back !

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Science Fiction -> Roswell All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved