Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unknow show name please help

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Comedy -> unknow show name please help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baseball23

unknow show name please help      Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote

Hi, can someone please me find old sitcom show.all i can remember is seems to be early 50s or maybe earlier,sometime in the blondie era.But the show had man named Edgar(who appeared mid aged bald and over weight)his wife cute looking blond young,attractive thin,her brother and mother who lived with them. Edgar was only one with job,and always seem to pay for brotherinlaws,misfourtunes.His wife talked so fast my brain was a few seconds behind her mouth.and the end of the show he would put hand over face and say something not sure ,Can somebody tell me name of show thax.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed May 20, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote

It was really early! Before television, in fact!

I'm pretty sure you're talking about actor "Edgar Kennedy" who appeared in an RKO 23 minute short film in 1931 titled, "Rough House Rhythm". Edgar Kennedy played a character also named "Edgar Kennedy" in that short.

It was a comedy about a guy who was henpecked by his wife and also got stuck supporting his good-for-nothing brother-in-law and mother-in-law who both lived with him. To make matters worse, the mother-in-law was constantly giving him a hard time which he had to take because he was henpecked by his wife!

Anyway, the film was so popular that they made more and more and more of them from 1931 until Edgar passed away in 1948.

RKO pictures referred to the 23 minute shorts as the "Mr. Average Man" series. People would return to see the next film just like we tune in to our favorite TV series today! In fact, the Mr. Average Man series of films is considered by most people in the industry to be the forerunner of today's TV sitcoms!

Now I suppose it's possible that somewhere along the line those were shown on TV in the 1950s. I can't find any references to that anywhere but it would make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the great question! It was a lot of fun for me to research the answer. I had never heard of Edgar Kennedy or the Average Man series before!

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Comedy -> unknow show name please help All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved