Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?"

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> "Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaroChel

"Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?"      Sun May 11, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote

My sister and I have seen a TV SciFi episode that we just can't find again. Can you help?

Best I can recall:

Browbeaten woman in some obscure sandy, windy location with lots of those whirlygig things spinning their wings. Hubby is domineering to the max. They are dirt-poor.

There's a deep well of some sort.

Wife ends up using the bucket and rope to lower some food, then pulls up gold in the bucket. The deep-ground creatures learn to write English [via a dictionary she lowers?] The exchanges continue over some time, then hubby finds out about it.

He dons something like a deep-sea diver's outfit and she reluctantly lowers him into the well.

The suit comes back up, empty, with the usual gold and a note. "Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?"

Twilight Zone?
One Step Beyond?
Outer Limits?
Ray Bradbury Theater? Question

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tastes like chicken      Mon May 12, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote

I definitely remember that one but after 1 hour of searching all my sources, I can't figure out which series it was on. This is gonna drive me nuts!

My two favorite series were the Outer Limits and Twilight Zone but I did watch a few of the other series' episodes too.

Somebody please help!

CaroChel

Research, research      Mon May 12, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

I also asked a dear friend (dyed-in-the-wool SciFi buff) and this was her response:

"I looked on the Outer Limits (1964 / 1994) website but didnít see an episode that seemed to match that. But I know I saw it recently (like in the last 6 months or so).

Thereís an episode of Wolf Lake from Sci-Fi channel that has the title ďtastes like chickenĒ but theyíre talking about a cannibalistic serial killer.

Then I thought it might have been on an Alfred Hitchcock episode from the Chiller channel (do you get that?). I did a very cursory search of those episodes but didnít see anything exactly like that. It does sound very A.H., donít you think?

Sorry. Canít remember the title or even know for sure itís Outer Limits.

I got tired so I didnít go thru all the OL 1963 series episodes. I guess you could also check Twilight Zone (1959 / 1985 / 2002). And I havenít seen Ray Bradbury Theater in years, so Iím all but positive itís not that.

Good luck. Iím sure youíll find itówe both remember it very clearly. I thought it was terrific."

So how is it that we all find it so memorable but none of us can find it again??? Funny buggy little episode that had to have been on the SciFi Channel, but WHAT IS IT??

And I'm very appreciative of the time others have wasted in this pursuit. It's a bit comforting to know I'm not alone in the either the appreciation of this particular episode nor the inability to recall the series.

This getting old stuff is the pits . . . until you consider the alternative. LOL?

petugas

Re: "Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?"      Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote

"Amazing Stories" Season 2, Episode 9. Episode was called "Thanksgiving"
Starred David Carradine, Kyra Sedgwick and Ray Walston. From TV.com:

Dora and her father Calvin are farmers who are digging a well for water. The two lower a flashlight on a rope down the hole. Suddenly something pulls on the rope. When they pull it up, they see that the flashlight has been replaced with a gold ingot. Calvin goes to town with it while Dora sends down another package to the "hole people" containing ham and a dictionary. When she pulls it back up she receives gold and jewels and a note thanking her, saying the 'ham' was very tasty, and asking for more things. She sends down chicken and gets even more gold.

Calvin returns in a tow truck. On a tow cable, he sends down a container filled with flashlights. When he pulls it up, he discovers they have been destroyed. Calvin is upset and decides to go down into the hole. He gets a gun and puts on a gas mask and army suit. He lowers himself down and tells Dora to bring him up after 10 minutes. Dora brings him up but all that comes up is the suit, stuffed with gold and jewelry and coins. There is also a note thanking her for the 'turkey'

CaroChel wrote:
My sister and I have seen a TV SciFi episode that we just can't find again. Can you help?

Best I can recall:

Browbeaten woman in some obscure sandy, windy location with lots of those whirlygig things spinning their wings. Hubby is domineering to the max. They are dirt-poor.

There's a deep well of some sort.

Wife ends up using the bucket and rope to lower some food, then pulls up gold in the bucket. The deep-ground creatures learn to write English [via a dictionary she lowers?] The exchanges continue over some time, then hubby finds out about it.

He dons something like a deep-sea diver's outfit and she reluctantly lowers him into the well.

The suit comes back up, empty, with the usual gold and a note. "Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?"

Twilight Zone?
One Step Beyond?
Outer Limits?
Ray Bradbury Theater? Question

CaroChel

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey petugas!!

You're awesome!! I never expected this to take 2 1/2 years to get an answer . . . but YOU did it!! Thank you, thank you!

And I thank you, CrazyAboutTV.com for still having this thread active after so long a time. It's so nice to have one little puzzle solved in our complicated lives. Life is a little sweeter today.

Best!!

CaroChel

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Eventually an expert comes along and answers even the toughest questions! Thanks petugas for your help!

petugas

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote

Thanks ! That episode is one of my favorites also.

"What else have you got ?" Classic !

CaroChel wrote:
Very Happy Hey petugas!!

You're awesome!! I never expected this to take 2 1/2 years to get an answer . . . but YOU did it!! Thank you, thank you!

And I thank you, CrazyAboutTV.com for still having this thread active after so long a time. It's so nice to have one little puzzle solved in our complicated lives. Life is a little sweeter today.

Best!!

CaroChel

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> "Tastes like chicken. What else have you got?" All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved