Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tv spin offs - how many?
Goto page 1,
2  Next  
Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> General TV Topics -> tv spin offs - how many?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

tv spin offs - how many?      Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote

let's see how many spin offs we can come up with. i'll start with a few of my favorites.

happy days spun off laverne & shirley and joannie loves chachi.

the andy griffith show spun off gomer pyle usmc and mayberry rfd.

cheers spun off frasier.

all in the family spun off the jeffersons, maude (not a favorite), and archie bunker's place.

the jeffersons spun off flo (not a favorite).

maude spun off good times.

MainMan

Some sci-fi spinoffs      Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote

Battlestar Galactica begat Galactica 1980
Six Million Dollar Man begat the Bionic Woman
Stargate SG1 begat Stargate Atlantis

Are the latter Star Treks considered to be spinoffs of the original?

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

New "spin-offs" page at CrazyAboutTV!      Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Seeing this thread made me think that a "spin-offs" page would be a great addition to the CrazyAboutTV.com site!

So anyway, one has been added. You can find it at:

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/miscpages/spinoffs.html

I'm sure it's not complete, but it's pretty good. I'd sure like to hear about others that aren't listed there!

Thanks for the idea!

BeachBoy

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote

Nice list! Did anyone notace that the series that created the spinoffs are mostly well-known shows and many if not most of the spinofs are ones you've never heard of?

It just struck me that spinoffs arent that likely to suceed.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
It just struck me that spinoffs arent that likely to suceed.

Actually, it's pretty likely that ALL series won't succeed. It's a tough business, especially today with so many channels and so much shows to split the total viewing audience. We tend to develop pages for what we feel are the most popular series at our CrazyAboutTV.com website, but even so, a little more than one-third of our current pages are series that lasted only one season or less!

The TRUE spin-offs (ones that are developed from a popular, regular cast member) probably have an advantage. I think that the key is that the character must stay as true to their role as possible but the scripts need to move into different directions.

For example, how successful would Frasier have been if Frasier Crane had moved from Boston to Seattle and simply went to a different bar? By giving him a radio show and some interesting friends and family, the series lasted nearly the same number of episodes as Cheers! (Cheers 269, Frasier 260)

Last edited by CrazyAboutTV on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

misterg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote

hey crazy!

you kind of killed my thread by doing that page but that's ok. it's a pretty hot list!

hey mainman!

i didn't even realize that there was a galactica 1980 series where they found earth. i'd love to see that!

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote

You just missed it on the Sci-fi channel a few months ago! It generally has always received bad reviews. In fact, it's often made fun of as a "rinky-dink" production.

That said, I must admit I enjoyed it (the first few episodes at least).

It is available on video (no dvd) through vendors that sell at Amazon.com. The video is called "Conquest of the Earth". Just type that into Amazon's search box. They've got them priced from under $5.00 for used ones (one says "like new") and as high as $35.00 for so-called "Collectibles". Beware of used videos as they are often from rental stores and are so worn out that they look horrible and/or won't track. Some are claimed to be "New" for $15.00.

Dvds are being sold on ebay but I'm pretty positive that those are illegal copies. If it had been released on dvd, Amazon would almost certainly have it (and they don't).

Otherwise, keep your eye on the cable channels and good luck!

johnmason
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote

I didn't even realize that there was an "original" Battlestar Galactica series until the new mini-series aired and there was talk about the old series. Embarassed

Does the sci-fi channel every show those? Question

BeachBoy

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Like Crazy said, it was on the scifi channle not that long ago. It didn't do much for me but then I'm compareing it to todays series which probably isn't fair for a 1980 series.

It did seem to stink pretty bad though!

00doll

Spin offs      Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Happy Days also spun off Mork and Mindy!

TVJunkie

spinnoffs      Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote

And didn't Mork and Mindy spinoff Out of the Blue about an angel

TVJunkie

Opps      Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote

should have looked at the Out of the Blue page first sorry oh well at least i was almost right Peace

Happipuppi

Spin offs? You got 'em      Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi new here and have i got the spin-offs!

Happy Days:
Laverne & Shirley Mork & Mindy/Joanie Loves Chachi/Out of The Blue (from H.D. Not M.& M.)

All In The Family gave us The Jeffersons and then came Maude which gave us Good Times. A.I.T.Family changed to Archie Bunker's Place and that gave us "Gloria" ('81-'82)

Alice gave us "Flo"

Mary Tyler Moore gave us "Rhoda" and "Phyllis" & "Lou Grant"

Andy Griffith Show,(sort of) a spin-off of Danny Thomas's,"Make Room For Daddy" in which Griffith plays sherriff Taylor and Ronny Howard plays Opie. Griffith's show gives us Gomer Pyle USMC and "Mayberry R.F.D."

The Beverly Hillbillies gave us, "Petticoat Junction" (unles that was just an episode/series crossover).

Hill Street Blues canceled but Buntz get his own show,"Beverly Hills Buntz" canceled fast!

TVJunkie

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Petticoat Junction was indeed a crossover episode as well as crossovers with Green Acres the CannonBall ran between the towns

Happipuppi

More!      Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Smile To continue:

MASH: AfterMASH & Trapper John M.D. (Trapper 25 years later). W*A*L*T*E*R (a 1 episode pilot that did air in '84, but only on the east coast due to election coverage.)

Wayne Rogers' short liverd series "House Calls" was based on the Walter Mahau movie and is in no way a MASH spin off.

Sanford & Son: The most unsuccessful spin-offs! "Sanford Arms" (Fred buys a hotel down the street from his place but has other people run it.)
"Grady",why would we want a show about him? Confused "Sanford",3 years after the end of the original,Redd Foxx returns (without Demond Wilson) and for 2 seasons does okay but it's just not the same.

That's about it. Wink

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> General TV Topics -> tv spin offs - how many? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved