Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with the name of an 80's kids Sci-Fi Mini-series

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Science Fiction -> Help with the name of an 80's kids Sci-Fi Mini-series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mcleldj

Help with the name of an 80's kids Sci-Fi Mini-series      Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote

It aired on Nickelodeon (i think), and was about some kids who find gold "coins." The "coins" are actually fuel used by aliens (disguised as humans) who have taken residence nearby. The aliens are using the fuel to try to stop a comet (which is actually a missile, they sent accidentally) from colliding with the earth.
I've been stewing over this for DAYS! I can't remember if it was British (a la Chocky) or Australian (a la Spellbinder).
If someone out there knows what this was called, PLEASE HELP!
Thanks!

Mcleldj

Remember more about the show...      Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote

I remember more details about this show... Hopefully someone will recognize it.

One of the aliens, disguised as a blonde girl, befriends the two human children. The two humans are a dark-skinned girl with curly black hair and a caucasian boy with brown hair (I think).
The gold "coins" were octagonal in shape, and had a filagree pattern in the center... Whenever the aliens are exposed to gold (i.e. the coins), they wince in pain and their eyes glow red. She, the blonde alien, explains that: like nuclear radiation (sometimes used as fuel) is harmful to humans, the gold (used as a fuel to the aliens) is harmful to her race. Towards the end of the series you see the aliens' spaceship taking off, it's shaped like the coins.
The series used plasma spheres/lamps as it's primary special effect. The aliens used them as control panels of a sort. And the children send a giant Plasma sphere into space to disable the comet/missile... which I think was called 'Nimrod.' <whew>
You'd think with all these details I could find something... But all searches have proved fruitless... PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!!

Maevid

YES!      Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote

This is driving me nuts as well. You have been able to dredge up a lot more detail than I, but I *really* want an answer to this! Google is proving virtually no help at all.

pralinen

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote

Hey, sorry for bumping old thread but I'm also in search for the programme, I found an old trailer for a children's programme in Sweden that shows what kinds of TV shows that are about to come, and they mentioned this!

They plainly say "Nimrod's Gold" but Google fail to find any kind of combination of it, so it must have some other name, anyway here is the clip that shows a second of it, maybe you will recognize it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8VIQArv_A&t=14 At 00:14-00:16

chazlarue

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote

I too have searched for this show on and off for years and periodically checked this forum post for new information.

Thanks to a work colleague I now know that the answer is Night of the Red Hunter.
http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/night-of-the-red-hunter-telefeature-1989

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Science Fiction -> Help with the name of an 80's kids Sci-Fi Mini-series All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved