Forum Index CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums
Where fans discuss their favorite TV shows at thousands of TV forums

FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You Asked For It

Reply to topic    CrazyAboutTV.com -> TV Forums -> Reality TV -> You Asked For It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

You Asked For It      Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote

Welcome to the You Asked For It forum at CrazyAboutTV.com!

You Asked For It was a 1950s TV show where the audience requested things they would like to see (sword swallowers, elephant walking over a man, man swimming with a giant octopus, etc.) and the Host of the show, Art Baker, would happily comply. Some claim that this was the first of the Reality Shows!

Feel free to simply read what others have said about You Asked For It or use the "Post Message" buttons to leave a message of your own. Use the links to the right of the "post message" buttons to find another topic of interest to you, or click on the "Search" link at the top of any page!

If you would like to read more information, please visit our You Asked For It page!

Thanks for visiting!

Last edited by CrazyAboutTV on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

charlies1

Changing Tire While Car is Driving on Highway      Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote

I remember a "You Asked For It" show where someone invented modifications to a car that allowed someone to change a tire while the car was driving at highway speeds. Ideally, I would like to get a copy of that segment of the show but would appreciate, at a minimum, the date on which that segment was aired so I can see if it is available as a renatal from Netflix or some other provider. Thanks you

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

You Asked For It Segment      Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there's very little information available about the series. I saw
approximately 3 hours of the show years ago off some video tapes I found at a flee market, but I don't recall seeing the segment you're referring to.

There are a couple of dvds available at Amazon but they don't detail which segments are on them. I suspect they're the same stuff I saw on my video tapes.

Can anyone else help out here?

jphjr47

You Asked for It : Knute Rockne Epsiode      Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Back in the mid to late sixties, You Asked for IT did a segment on Knute Rockne. I am looking for a video of it. The show interviewed my grandfather who lived next door to Rockne.

If you have a copy or know someone who has a copy of that episode I would appreciate hearing from you.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote

That's an interesting question? Are you sure that it aired in the 1960s? Are you sure that the show's title was "You Asked for It"? Is it possible that what showed in the 60s was a repeat?

My information shows that the first You Asked for It TV series aired from 1950 through September of 1959. There was another that started in 1972. Then, in 1981 "The New You Asked for It" series appeared and there was another in 1999. There was also a "You Asked for It, Again" series in 1991.

So as far as I can tell, there were no original episodes of the show produced and aired in the 60s.

I think I've seen every episode of the 50-59 series that has survived and I don't remember seeing a Knute Rockne segment but there were a lot of segments and that one may have just skipped my mind.

Good Luck! It would be pretty neat to see your grandfather on a TV show that many years ago!

jphjr47

You Asked for It : Knute Rockne      Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote

My error. The show was in the late fifties.

This will take some work to dig up a video of it.

Thanks for the response.

CrazyAboutTV
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Hopefully that episode does still exist. Don't give up but be aware that back in those days the shows were often broadcast live and no copy was ever made.

Also, sometimes a 16mm film copy would be made by filming the live show on an in-studio TV monitor. They would sometimes use that film to broadcast later to the west coast (due to the time difference). Those films are called "Kinescopes". Unfortunately, very few people in show business had the foresight to see that someday people might want to see those episodes again and most were destroyed.

The reason that shows like "I Love Lucy" have all of their episodes available today is because a few smart people (in that case Desi Arnaz) saw a future day where a thing called "repeats" would be a valuable commodity. Desi Arnaz insisted that CBS give him and his wife Lucille Ball the rights to all of those old shows and the network said, "Sure"! They wondered why he would even want them! I wonder how many hundreds of millions of dollars they've earned since then!

Oh well ... again; Good Luck. That's enough TV history for today!

jphjr47

I know the segment was filmed.      Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote

That is the story my father told me. When my grandfather did it the first time they forgot to put the film in the camera. They had to come back a second time. Thanks. I will continue my search.

lynn

videos of You asked for it segments      Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote

My father in law appeared on the You Asked for It TV show in the 50's. He was a stunt man. He was most known as Mr. TNT. He blew himself up with dynamite in a coffin/box. We have found one appearance on DVD. We would love to find others or all of his appearances. Any help would be appreciated.

sanbeth

Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote

A child hood friend and I are trying to find out which episode our fathers performed in...Clackamas County Sherriff's Posse, doing "Threading the Needle," ...early to mid- 1950's. They were a show horse group and a posse for parades and rodeos, and we would love to find out if this episode is recorded somewhere, to pass along to our grandchildren. Anyone have any informationon this? Thank you.

Reply to topic       CrazyAboutTV.com - TV Forums Main Page -> Reality TV -> You Asked For It All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

© 2005 - 2014 CrazyAboutTV.com - All Rights Reserved